ALBANY, NY (June 3, 2014)— The Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region honored John J. Nigro, the Nigro Family and Barbara Linell Glaser at today’s 2014 Celebration of Philanthropy.
The Celebration of Philanthropy took place at Wolferts Roost Country Club. A sold-out crowd of more than 400 guests joined the Community Foundation to recognize the philanthropic leadership of John Nigro, the Nigro Family and Barbara L. Glaser.
About the 2014 Celebration of Philanthropy Honorees:
- John J. Nigro & the Nigro Family, 2014 Jordan Vail Spirit of Philanthropy Award Recipients: The C. Jordan Vail Spirit of Philanthropy Award has been presented annually since 2002 in recognition of individuals and groups who have demonstrated extraordinary leadership and commitment to preserving and enhancing the quality of life in the Capital Region. Past recipients of this award include Barbara K. Hoehn and Charles M. Liddle III (2013), the Bender Family (2012), the Dake Family (2011) and Roy and Nancy Hershey (2010) and Standish Family (2009)
- Since 1995, the Nigro Advised Fund of the Community Foundation has granted more than $1.3 million to community organizations. In addition to his generous community support, John Nigro has provided invaluable leadership to the Community Foundation, having served as a member of the Foundation’s Board of Directors. John Nigro has also been a strong supporter of many Foundation-led activities, including the Arts & Cultural Collaborative Fund.
- John Nigro began his career with Albany Public Markets, the first large supermarket chain in upstate New York, founded by the Nigro family. In 1974, he joined his father in forming what is now Nigro Companies, the firm he leads today.
- It is the Foundation’s privilege to honor John Nigro and his family as the recipients of the Spirit of Philanthropy Award in recognition of their philanthropic leadership and deep commitment to the health and advancement of the greater Capital Region.
- Barbara Linell Glaser, inaugural Philanthropic Catalyst Award Recipient: The Philanthropic Catalyst Award was created to honor those whose exceptional gifts, life experiences and passion for bringing people together for the common good.
- Barbara L. Glaser has served as a catalyst for many funds held at the Community Foundation, including the Women’s Global Giving Fund, the Africa Hospice Initiative Fund, Karen’s Water Fund, the Cancer Prevention Fund, the ASA Internship & Capacity Building Fund, the Steiner Scholarship Fund of the Waldorf School, the Community/Land Preservation & Planning Fund, and Youth2 – Youth Helping Youth Fund.
- It is the Community Foundation’s pleasure to honor Barbara L. Glaser as the recipient of the inaugural Philanthropic Catalyst Award in recognition of her dedication to fostering community organizations through her investments in their institutional capacity.
At the Celebration of Philanthropy, the Community Foundation also honored outgoing President of the Board of Directors, Deborah Onslow, former Chief Executive Officer for the CSNE–Children’s Museum of Science and Technology, and welcomed incoming Board President Ellen Sax, Director of Corporate Social Responsibility for MVP Health Care. The Community Foundation also welcomed new board members Frank M. Slingerland, the Freddie Institute, and Jan Smith, Castle Rock Ranch Group, LLC.
The 2014 Celebration of Philanthropy was presented by KeyBank, Nigro Companies and Tri City Rentals, with additional support from Cornerstone sponsors Albany Medical Center, First Niagara, MVP Health Care, and Siena College; Pillar sponsors Austin & Co., Inc., BBL Construction Services, LLC, Capital Bank, and the University at Albany Foundation; Corporate Community Investors architecture+, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, British American, DeCrescente Distributing Co., Marvin and Company, P.C., McNamee Lochner Titus & Williams, P.C., nfrastructure, Omni Development Company, Inc., Sano-Rubin Construction Co., Inc., Saratoga Performing Arts Center, and Sneeringer Monahan Provost Redgrave Title Agency, Inc.; and Corporate Community Partner Unity House.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Since 1968, The Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region has provided an effective means for people who care about this community to be part of shaping its future. The Community Foundation offers donors a complete toolkit for charitable giving, expert assistance in learning more about the causes they care about, and the opportunity to join others with similar interests to learn and give together.
The Community Foundation distributed more than $4.87 million in 2013 to hundreds of not-for-profit organizations in the Capital Region and beyond. With assets of more than $63 million, the Foundation is comprised of more than 390 charitable funds created by a diverse group of individuals, families and corporations. In addition, two local independent foundations, the Bender Family Foundation and the John D. Picotte Family Foundation, contract with the Community Foundation for grantmaking assistance.
Through flexible donor services, strategic grant making and community leadership, the Community Foundation helps people support the causes they care about, now and for generations to come. For more information, please visit them online at http://www.cfgcr.org or call (518) 446-9638.